What is a VoIP VPN and How To Use It?
VoIP stands for Voice over Internet Protocol. It may sound technical and difficult to understand but think about Skype, Google Hangouts, and Viber. These videos and audio call services make use of the VoIP technology to allow you to communicate with other people from another side of the world using the internet.
A lot has improved about this technology since it emerged in the 1990’s. VoIP has changed the game and made communication easier and more affordable. Gone are the days when you have to cut a call because you are worried about the bill from your local telecom.
Although VoIP is very beneficial and popular, some countries in Asia and in the Middle East have blocked VoIP. Some of these countries are:
- North Korea
- South Korea
With a VoIP VPN, however, you can easily bypass the restrictions in these countries and use Skype, Viber, or any other application that uses VoIP.
What is VoIP VPN?
A VoIP VPN allows you to use VoIP even in places where the technology is blocked. This is by creating a secure and private network where your VoIP traffic will go through. This private network is a virtual one, and it rides along your actual network. All traffic that passes through this network are encrypted, so nobody will know that you are using VoIP.
When you connect to the VPN, you will need to connect to a server located in a country where VoIP is not blocked. As a result, a VoIP VPN will mask your real IP address with another one.
How to Use VoIP VPN?
First, you need to sign up with a VPN service provider that specifically supports VoIP. LimeVPN is one of the few providers who do this. When selecting a VPN provider, keep these things in mind:
- Make sure that the VPN tool is compatible with the device you will be using.
- The VPN service provider must have an Anti-Logging policy in place. If the VPN provider logs your data, they might be obligated to hand these over to another entity, especially when there is legality involved.
- Connecting to a VPN before using an application can understandably cause some latency and lag issues. Make sure then that the VPN provider offers high speed connection. Also, the location of your selected server matters. This is why you are advised to connect to a server that’s located in a country near you.
Setting up a VPN on your phone or laptop is easy and we have instructions for executing it. Once the VPN tool is installed, do these:
- Connect to the VPN.
- Choose a server. Make sure that this server is located in a country near you where VoIP is not blocked.
- Open Skype, or the VoIP application of your choice.
- Make calls, talk to your friends, loved ones, and colleagues!
Can I Make Free Calls Using VoIP VPN?
Using a VPN to use VoIP service will not result in free calls. You will still be charged the rate that the VoIP service charges. This is the only way most of these VoIP applications earn. However, the rate will be way lower than when you are using your local telecom provider in making overseas calls.
Can I Also Use VoIP VPN to Unblock Online Gaming Voice Chat?
Even online games make use of VoIP technology. Therefore, gamers who are in countries where VoIP is blocked cannot enjoy their online games to the fullest. With VoIP VPN, gamers can truly enjoy complete teamwork with other gamers in another part of the world.
To Wrap Up
VoIP service is very useful to everyone who needs to make overseas calls from time to time. Whether it is for work, or for personal use, using Skype or Viber beats using your local telecom provider. For those who are in countries where VoIP is blocked or restricted, one of the best solutions is a VoIP VPN. By using a VPN, you can make calls through VoIP in a secured and encrypted network.
VPN can do a lot of wonders, especially to those who are in countries with internet censorship. More than that, a VPN provides its users security and privacy in a world full of scammers and cybercrimes.