What are torrents & How to torrent using a VPN ?
Everybody probably heard a thing or two about torrents and how they work. What the majority does not know is that they can use torrents for themselves as well without being discovered by the authorities. In other words, you will be able to download as much music, movies, games or software as you want freely and without any concern. But before we explain how that can be done, let’s take a closer look at what torrents really are and how they work with VPN.
What is Torrent actually?
Torrent is actually just a short version of the term BitTorrent and it is a way to transfer data over the internet. It is done using peer-to-peer (or shortly P2P) sharing technology where everyone can access content using the P2P software that allows users to find the content they are looking for (from other peers).
In order to begin downloading a desired content via P2P software such as μTorrent, you need to download a torrent file first for that specific content that you want to download.
What is a torrent file?
To put it simply, a torrent file is a file that has an extension .torrent and it can be downloaded from one of the Torrent websites which will be presented later. That torrent contains metadata about a tracker and that data is loaded by the P2P software in order to begin downloading content.
Tracker, by the way, is a special server that keeps track of which peers are available when the client request and where peers store files. To put it simply, tracker just makes everything work for each torrent and that is exactly why someone needs to download the torrent file first and then proceed to downloading the desired content.
What are the best and the most popular websites for torrents?
Here is the list of the four most popular websites for downloading torrent files. They are sorted by current popularity, but the popularity of those websites varies sometimes.
- Kickass Torrents – Kickass torrents became a good alternative for The Pirate Bay after The Pirate Bay was shut off. This website has millions of users and a countless number of torrents that can be downloaded.
- Pirate Bay – Pirate Bay is a synonym for torrenting but it has been repeatedly shut down due to legal reasons. It is on now and it is on the second place, being dethroned by Kickass Torrents. The creators of Pirate Bay are huge freedom fighters and they are real heroes on the internet.
- ExtraTorrent – apart from being increasingly popular, ExtraTorrent is also a home to popular ETTV and ETRG torrent releases, which are usually rips of popular movies and TV shows.
- Torrentz – Torrentz is not really a website that can host torrent files but rather anomni-search engine which is focused only on torrents. In other words, you enter a keyword that you want to search and torrentz will provide links to all the torrent files containing that keyword but are located on real torrent-hosting sites such as the aforementioned three – Kickass Torrents, Pirate Bay, ExtraTorrent, etc.
- RARBG – a Bulgarian torrenting website, threatening to become the new Pirate Bay due to the high popularity in the past several months.
How can you use VPN for torrenting?
The thing with torrenting is that it is not particularly legal in most of the countries in the world. Only a few countries on our planet do not really care about their citizens downloading stuff illegally, while most of the countries keep track of those who do. Therefore, it is of utmost importance for you to do your best in order to hide your identity while downloading torrents. How can you do this?
The most logical step is to have a Virtual Private Network (or shortly VPN) such as LimeVPN, which will help you in covering your internet identity completely and help you with downloading torrents. There are two types of IPs which are offered by LimeVPN which will be given to you after you become their user. Having an IP provided by VPN will significantly increase your level of anonymity and safety on the Internet and especially on the torrenting websites.
- Dedicated IP – this kind of IP will be dedicated only for you and you will be able to use it in order to download from whichever Torrent website you like.
- Shared IP – this IP is cheaper but it is shared by several users. This means that you will be able to use it on most of the websites, but it may be blacklisted on others, resulting in you not being able to access them.
Here is an article on the differences of Shared Ip VPN & Dedicated IP VPN
However, IP is not the only thing that is important when using a cheap VPN for torrenting. VPN ensures, by using encryption , Internet kill switch and many other features, that you remain completely anonymous on the internet and that you can access certain websites that may be blocked in your country.
Another thing that makes LimeVPN so special is that it ensures maximum speed. Many VPN providers will slow down your internet speed for the sake of achieving anonymity. However, LimeVPN has both great speed and maximum protection on the Internet.
So what steps should be taken if I want to download a torrent using a VPN?
- Choose a movie, song, album, game or anything else that you want to download.
- Open Limevpn App, Choose your preferred server, Connect to the VPN Server.
- Download P2P software for downloading torrents.
- Go to a Torrent website (listed in this article) and choose a Torrent file for your content. Be sure that the torrent has enough seeders number (torrent health) so that you can download from someone.
- Open the torrent via P2P software and start downloading.
- Once the download is finished, you can continue seeding the torrent so that other people can download it from you.
To sum up, torrents, if used correctly and with the right protocols & the right VPN server can save you a lot of money because you will basically download everything for free. VPN will make your torrenting completely anonymous and you will be able to download as much as you want.