How to setup VPN on MIKROTIK router
How to Configure VPN client on MIKROTIK router
IMPORTANT: Don’t setup your Mikrotik Router OS remotely. You have to be connected via the LAN interface, otherwise you will cut the connection (access to the router) and you will not be able to access it remotely any more.
- Update Router OS on your Mikrotik router to latest version (at least version v5.8).
- Connect to your Mikrotik router via WinBox.
- Setup the DNS servers manually to Google DNS: IP -> DNS -> Settings -> Servers. Enter 126.96.36.199 and 188.8.131.52 and disable Allow Remote Requests.
- Add new route as you can see on following images. You will need the default gateway IP address of your Internet provider (ISP) and VPN server IP address (please contact us if you do not know our VPN server IP addresses).
- Your routing table should not contain any default route now. See the screen bellow.
- Setup the PPTP client according to the screen shots below. Status should appear as connected once you click Apply.
- Go to PPP -> Profiles -> double-click on ‘default-encryption’ -> Protocols and set User Encryption to required.
- Go to IP -> DHCP Client and disable the Add Default Route option.
- Now you should be able to ping for example google.com. If all works well, then you can setup NAT masquerade of your LAN network so all devices behind the Mikrotik Router will use the VPN connection. Go to IP -> Firewall -> NAT -> ‘+’ button and set masquerade on srcnat chain as following the Screenshot below.
How to use VPN on MIKROTIK Routers?
You are probably on this page because you wonder how to setup VPN on MIKROTIK routers. This is actually a rather easy task and setting up VPN on MIKROTIK router will take up to 10 minutes of your time. The only thing that you need to do extra is to request VPN servers’ IP addresses. After you’ve done that you just follow the screenshots and step-by-step guides. The text above is one of the simplest VPN setup tutorial for MIKROTIK routers on the internet and everybody could understand them. Be careful and read step-by-step instructions before you proceed to setting it up. This VPN setup tutorial for MIKROTIK routers may be difficult for you if you are a complete beginner and you can ask someone from our staff to help you out. We provide each our customer with one on one remote setup session to help out with VPN configuration on routers. For more guides on how to setup VPN on different kinds of routers check out this page.