Setting up VPN in Linux – OpenVPN Setup Instructions for Ubuntu
How to Setup VPN connection in Linux using OpenVPN protocol
- Open Terminal, Applications->Accessories->Terminal
- Install network-manager-openvpn by typing in Terminal: “sudo apt-get install network-manager-openvpn” Press Enter (Enter password if it needed)
- You will be prompted: “Do you want to continue? Y/n” Type “Y” and hit Enter
- Once installation is complete, restart Network Manager by typing: “sudo restart network-manager“. Press Enter
- Ok network-manager is now running. Now download LimeVPN OpenVPN Settings here and extract it.
- Open Network Connections, go to: System->Preferences->Network Connections
- Click Import to setup Open VPN in Linux
- You will be prompted dialog: Navigate to extracted folder from step 5 and select one file (with extension “.ovpn“) from de list. Click Open
- In the case User name type your LimeVPN User Name, and password in Password and click Apply
- In the taskbar, click on the Network Manager applet (looks like two block monitors, one in front of the other) to bring up the connection menu. Expand VPN Connections and select LimeVPN OpenVPN
You are now connected to VPN. To disconnect click in the same menu click Disconnect VPN.
How to setup VPN on Linux in command line terminal using OpenVPN protocol
Simply follow this step-by-step Linux VPN tutorial and configure Linux VPN connection in 5 minutes. You can use these instructions as a reference to setup VPN connection on your Linux based computer from any VPN provider which has OpenVPN configuration files. Don’t forget to check your VPN account authentication data and get your password/login ready. Simply put this instruction is about getting OpenVPN network manager in terminal and then importing OpenVPN config from your VPN provider into network manager. Another option to setup VPN connection is to use your router as a VPN client.
How to create VPN connection in Linux
In order to create OpenVPN connection in Linux, you should consider going carefully through the tutorial above this text. It is a very thorough text with step – by – step explanations that all Linux users should not have problems understanding. Therefore, if you want to setup VPN connection in Linux Ubuntu using OpenVPN, you should open the terminal and proceed as instructed above. If this setup guide doesn’t work for you please contact support. LimeVPN, as a Linux VPN provider among all, helps its customers to setup VPN connection on any Linux system with one-by-one remote support sessions, simply request it form contact support form. You don’t need to have trouble setting up VPN for Linux using OpenVPN, you can always try and contact someone from our staff who will help you in this procedure. OpenVPN Linux Ubuntu connection setup is easy and fast as long as you understand the instructions properly.