Linksys Routers L2TP/IP Sec Setup Instructions
How to set up L2TP VPN in CISCO Linksys E900 Router
First of all, you need to open the browser and find the exact IP that your router uses in order to login into its web configuration. Let’s say that your router uses the following IP – 192.168.1.1. In order to perform a login to your router, you need to browse the following IP address – http://192.168.1.1. You will be asked for the username and password, which can be found in the manual of your router. When you login, you will have access to CISCO router settings
The first thing that should be done there is enabling VPN Passthrough – this will resolve connection problems that may appear. In order to do that, you should:
- Click “Security” tab in the top
- A “VPN Passthrough” tab will appear below. Click it.
- You should click on “Enabled” in these sections – IPsec Passthrough, PPTP Passthrough and L2TP Passthrough
- “Save Settings” – click this option after everything
The following procedure will help you setup VPN on CISCO Linksys E900 router. Just follow each step, and be sure to look at the pictures for help.
- Choose the “Setup” tab on the top and choose the “Basic” tab below it afterwards.
- You will then have a drop-down menu from which you should choose “L2TP” as an Internet Connection Type
- The Server IP Address should be the name of the host on server or the IP through which you connect
- Username – Enter your Lime VPN account username
- Password – Enter your VPN password
- Keep Alive: 30 (seconds)
- MTU: Choose “Auto” from the drop-down menu
- DHCP Server: Choose “Enabled”
- Static DNS 1: 22.214.171.124
- Static DNS 2: 126.96.36.199
- Static DNS 3: 188.8.131.52
- Click on “Save Settings” when you’re done
Your router will need a few moments to start connecting via your new IP. After it has connected, you can go to the following website – https://whatismyip.com and check your new IP address.
You’ve successfully performed CISCO Router L2TO setup. To be more specific, now you know how to install L2TP VPN on CISCO Linksys E900 router.