How to setup or configure VPN on Smart TV
Connecting a Smart TV and VPN can be very useful if you live in an area where Smart TVs are not supported. In this article we will explain how to setup VPN on several types of Smart TV such as – Google TV, LG TV, WD TV Live, and Sony TV.
Find the one that you have and follow the instructions carefully.
Set up LimeVPN on Google TV
Before starting to setup VPN on your Google Smart TV make sure that you have a wireless network adapter (which includes RJ45 port), Ethernet cable and an internet connection that can be transmitted through wireless.
- Press Home on Google TV and go to Menu
- Now go to the System Settings and then choose Network
- Click Ethernet and select Static in IP settings underneath
- Add an IP address in the field. An IP address should be the one which your network currently enables.
- In the field Network Prefix Length enter 24
- Fill in the DNS servers that LimeVPN gave you in the DNS1 and DNS2 fields.
- Click on Set when everything is done.
The next thing is to go to your laptop and go to Start -> Control Panel. In the CP you should choose the Network and Internet option. Once you are there, follow the instructions below
- Go to Network and Sharing Center
- View your Active Networks and click on Local Area Connection there
- Click Properties and afterwards go to Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/Ipv4)
- Click on Properties and click the button that says „Use the following address“
- Fill in the IP address field with 168.0.1 and the subnet mask with 255.255.255.0 (keep the rest empty)
- This way you’ve created a VPN connection, click it and go to Properties
- Select Sharing Tab and select „Allow other network users to connect through this computers internet connection“
- You will also see Home Network connection option in which you should choose Local Area Connection as the appropriate option
- Make sure that Establish a dial up connection and Allow other network users to control is not marked
- Turn on Google TV
- Go to Chrome and check if there is a connection just by trying to browse a bit via TV
Set Up LimeVPN on LG TV
The requirements for configuring VPN on LG Smart TV are the same as for Google TV – wireless network adapter (which includes RJ45 port), Ethernet cable and an internet connection that can be transmitted through wireless.
Follow these steps for complete installation:
- Press Home on the remote of your LG Smart TV
- Navigate to Settings with the arrow buttons on the remote
- Select the Network Connection option and then go to Start Connection
- You will see a new window in which you should choose Wired Network
- Press Enter and select the IP mode to Dynamic.
- Click OK and wait for the remote to restart
- Test the connection
Before being able to connect you also need to enable Wi-Fi on your laptop. The instructions are found in the Google TV part of this article. The only difference is that in this case you should choose „Obtain IP address automatically“ in the IP Field.
Setting up LimeVPN on WD TV live
In order to install properly WD TV Live, set up the Wi-Fi as instructed in the Google TV. The only difference is to put the IP address 10.0.0.1 and set subnet mask to 255.0.0.0. After you finish that, turn on the TV and set it up as it follows:
- Use arrows on the remote to go to the settings option and press Enter
- Go to Network Settings and then choose Network Setup
- Select the Wired connection option
- Select Manual when choosing the Connection Mode
- Enter IP 10.0.0.2 and IP 255.0.0.0
- Leave the rest of the settings blank and press Finish button
- Press Enter in order to set it up completely
After this is done, try using your WD TV Live to see if everything works and you have VPN installed.
Setting Up LimeVPN on Sony TV
Just as other smart TVs, Sony requires you to setup network on your computer and your TV. The first part to set up wireless network you can read in the first subheading of this article with a difference to choosing an „Obtain an IP address automatically“ under IP.
The second part is setting up TV.
- Press Home on the remote control of the Sony TV
- With arrows on the remote choose Settings and then Network afterwards
- Choose Network Setup in the next screen
- From options, choose Wired Setup and click the right arrow
- Click on Save and Connect
- Sony TV will do the rest automatically from here
If everything is successful, you will get the „Network setup is complete“ sign, click OK. If something goes wrong you can manually get to choose your Subnet Mask, IP Address, Gateway and DNS Server. These are often provided by your ISP.
Sign up for the cheapest VPN for your SmartTV
Click here to see how to stream Netflix from anywhere
Good luck with setting up vpn on your smart TV ! Did this article help you ? Let us know in the comments below