You are in the right place if you were looking for “how to set up VPN on a router”. In this article, we will guide you how to set up a “Manual VPN configuration” on a router. As manual configuration is available on most of the routers.
Before we take you to the core of the topic, here are the benefits of configuring VPN on the router level.
As you know there are a lot of routers with different models available in the market,It is quite difficult to explain the steps for all the models, In order to keep the article simple, Let us set up VPN on D-Link DL-524 router using PPTP protocol. After this, you will get an idea how to configure VPN on any router manually.
Note:- Please keep a note of the router’s IP, username and password ready, as login to the router will be our first step.
1. Open the router’s web configuration page and login as admin. Default IP address of the router is 192.168.0.1 for most of the models.
2. At the HOME screen click on WAN button on the left side.
3. In “WAN Settings” part choose option Others and then choose option PPTP.
4. Then choose Dynamic IP. Fill the VPN server IP address xx.xxx.xxx.xxx (USE IP INSTEAD HOSTNAME!) To get VPN servers’ IP addresses you need to contact support and request currently available addresses.
5. PPTP Account is your LimeVPN Username and PPTP Password is your LimeVPN Password (type it twice). All other values should stay at default values.
6. Click on Apply button. Wait for rebooting the router and then test if the internet is working and IP address has changed. (You can test it at LimeVPN home page you can find your current IP at the top left corner of the screen.
We are not done yet, there is a critical thing known as “DNS LEAK” which needs to be checked once you are done with the configuration. The next question will be “Why this needs to be done?” The answer is when you are using anonymity or privacy service, it is extremely important that all traffic originating from your computer is routed through the anonymous network. Any traffic leaks outside the secure connection to the network or any adversary monitoring your traffic will be able to log your activity. Basically, a DNS leak happens when you are using a VPN but your regular ISP and third parties are able to see what you are doing. If you have a DNS leak your traffic could be compromised by anyone and obviously, your ISP can see all of your activities.
If you are wondering how to check? Here we are with a ready made tool LimeVPN DNS LEAK TEST
If after performing the test you find “Your DNS request exposed!” then your DNS is exposed and it needs to be corrected. You can prevent DNS leaks by setting the below public DNS servers in the router’s configuration page.
DNS server 1: 220.127.116.11 DNS server 2: 18.104.22.168
Sign up with us, We provide one to one remote setup sessions for our customers. Simply contact us and we will help you out with VPN setup on your router.
If you are looking for VPN setup instructions for a different router model, You can find the guides for most of the models, All you need to do is click on VPN setup guides for routers.
Don’t let the internet browse you!GET LIMEVPN