Google Drive alternatives: Best picks
Every data that you have is important which is the reason why it is stored in your Google Drive.
Whether it is a presentation for a product or content being written to exhibit your brand, all this information needs to be secured.
For security reasons, saving it on Google Drive would be your preferred choice rather than creating a document and storing it on your desktop.
Table of Content
The reason for this action is because until and unless someone asks for access to view your documents they can’t see the information you have and also when you sign in your Gmail account is when you can actually access your Google docs.
Now while this might seem like a reliable solution, we are sorry to say that Google Drive cannot be your complete secure platform to store data.
You are aware that the online world is growing, technology is introducing multiple unique solutions but along with this, the growth of hackers and online crime too are increasing.
Your data is important and Google Drive might not be the ideal place for you to store it.
A user on a top review page stated the same, ‘’I am not very confident about the security which Google provides for our data. The way Google tracks users’ activity and provides advertisements, it’s difficult to trust.’’
Hence to help you secure your business actions better, we have conducted a thorough research on what Google drive alternatives can you use which are better in terms of security and more.
What to expect from this article?
Let’s get started.
Why do you need a Google Drive alternative?
1. Your data is being scanned and analyzed by Google
The first reason to understand why Google Drive alternatives are required by you is because all your documents are scanned. The reason why they are scanned and analyzed so that Google can personalize your services with them better.
Also, it is said that Google makes use of bots that find objectionable content and then delete them without giving you an explanation which can cause you a loss in confidential data or project you’re working on.
2. Your documents can be manipulated
It is clearly stated in the privacy agreement of Google that “use, host, store, reproduce, modify, create derivative works […], communicate, publish, publicly perform, publicly display and distribute” any of your documents which are present in your Google Drive. It is also stated that your documents can be shared with third parties whom they associate with.
This itself is an alarming rate of privacy being used in a hassle manner.
Interesting Read : 11 Password Security Faux Pas You’re Probably Making
3. Lesser knowledge on what happens when files are shared
Now another default in Google drive is that you can share your document access to who you want. For instance, say that you share your Google document to Mary, now who Mary sends that document too or what happens after that is something that you will never know because Google drive lacks the basic security feature.
Once you have given them access to the document, you will not have an idea what happens to it after that and this can be a risk privacy issue.
4. Stands at a more vulnerable height
Your Google activities are more vulnerable because say for instance that you forget to log out of your system. What happens here is that anyone who visited your system can easily get a hold of your documents and other data from your Google drive. This can cause a huge risk to any user.
5. Deleted documents aren’t eliminated forever
There have been times where a few of the users realize that what they delete is never really gone from their Google drive which can be an issue. The whole agenda of getting a document out of your Google drive is to firstly get more space and secondly, it’s of no value to the user so even if after deleting it, the document still remains, that can be a hassle for certain users.
6. Restricted to Gmail users
Another drawback of Google Drive is that only if you have a Gmail account can you use it. So you can’t really try to view a document in your Google Drive if you don’t have a Gmail account.
Now that you have all the reasons to believe why Google Drive alternatives are the better choice, we have covered the best ones for you.
Top Google Drive alternative for you to get started with
Nordlocker uses state of the art encryption to secure your files and ensures that your data doesn’t fall in the hands of hackers.
- Security powered by state of the art encryption
- Protects data in a secure cloud
- Secure file sharing
- One password for all lockers
- No file restrictions
- Ease to use the application
- Pricing is expensive
- With cloud storage, direct integration is not available
3 GB- Free. 500 GB- $3.99/month
With dropbox edits will be synced automatically. It also encrypts your data and offers a two-factor authentication to secure your files.
- Stores and access files from anywhere
- Work smarter from desktop
- Access what is important easily
- Get notified for every action
- If you have fewer data in hand, there is always an option to opt for the free plan
- Functions quick and well with your devices be it smartphone or PC
- In case if you require an immediate offline access, this can’t be possible
- You need to have a good connection or uploading and downloading to the cloud can be a hassle
Professional- $19.99/month, Standard- $15/month/user, Advanced- $25/user/month
This application is considered to be the most private cloud drive service provider. It offers military-grade encryption and also public key cryptography as your security measure.
- Share files securely to anyone inside or outside your organization
- Access any documents anywhere no matter the device used
- Provides zero-knowledge encryption
- Helps to avoid reputational damage and fines
- Support is good
- Storage security is great
- Issues are faced when storing rich media
Business Standard- $14.50/month, Business Plus- $19.17 month, Enterprise- $24/month
This application is perfect for individuals who want an alternative for Google Drive. They offer a Zero-knowledge protection policy too.
- Access content on any device you use with pcloud drive
- Provides high-level encryption with pcloud crypto
- Provides file backup
- Makes use of TLS/SSL encryption
- Plans offered will suit any user no matter the GB they wish to have as their storage capacity
- Offers a lifetime plan which can suit multiple users
- For personal users, the pricing packages can be expensive
- For large businesses, the cloud storage capacity might not be enough
Premium 500 GB- $175 one time payment, Premium Plus 2 TB- $350 one time payment
The unique feature of Box is that it uses machine learning. You can even set passwords for your files so the security levels are higher.
- Offers frictionless security
- Provides all collaboration in one place
- Workflow simplified to the maximum
- Integrates with top tools
- Has the ability to limit the viewers on your file
- AES-256 bit encryption is used to secure your data files
- The advanced version of this application is way too advanced than it should be which makes it difficult to start using and understanding it
- Editing tool or file preview function isn’t available
Starter- $5.61/month/user, Business- $0.016/month/user, Business Plus- $0.027/month/user, Enterprise- $0.037/month/user
This application offers 50 GB free. It encrypts your data and also offers more storage in case you invite your friends to use the application.
- Syncs well for both desktop and mobile devices
- Interface is great
- Downloading performance can be better
- To log in the interface you need to wait for sometime
This application offers high-security encryption. It offers end to end encryption and a zero-knowledge policy.
- Lets you send files of any size and to whoever you want
- Automatically sync your data
- Provides unlimited transfer limits
- Conducts two-factor authentication, granular permissions, and more
- Provides an automatic data sync option so that you never lose on sensitive data
- Provides end to end encrypted storage which means only you can access your data in the cloud storage
- For Linux users, downloadable client support isn’t available
- The interface of Sync.com can get tricky to understand at first
Standard- $5/month/user, Plus- $8/month/user, Advanced- $15/month/user
8. Canto Dam
This is the perfect solution for modern businesses. It helps to restrict access to certain files.
- Provides smart sharing option
- Quick scanning of libraries for faster data search
- Provides secure sharing of data and custom permissions options as well
- Lets you share data with users on limited privileges
- Customizable options are high
- Ease of use is high
- The speed of the application can be improved
- Downloads could be better in performance
Need to contact the team
9. One drive
It conveniently integrates with Office Suite. It blends perfectly with Word, Powerpoint, and Excel.
It even collaborates with brands that want to store business files for the teams to edit together.
- Let’s you store sensitive information in your personal vault that can be carried anywhere with you.
- Automatically relocks your PC
- Provides file encryption, scans viruses, and more
- Secures your data with identity verification too
- Security measures are provided well
- Automatic syncing of files is conducted
- Is a hassle-free process to use an application
- Does not support Linux
Onedrive for business ( Plan 1)- $4.52.month, Onedrive for Business (Plan 2 )- $9.03 /month, Microsoft 365 business basic- $1.71/month, Microsoft 365 business-standard- $9.03/month
This a brand that is going strong for the past 10 years as a better alternative for Google Drive. They are considered to be one of the strongest competitors.
- Conducts server backups
- Conducts computer backup to secure your business data
- Let’s you build your apps on top of the B2 cloud storage
- The uploading process is quicker and easier
- Offers unlimited file storage
- File restores are time-consuming
- Non PC users have a lesser or harder understanding of navigation when using the application
Need to contact the team
While the above alternatives can help you in securing your information, you are still not completely secured from the online world.
Even if you wish to conduct any activity online, it is always great to have another layer of protection which is why we believe that our next solution is something that your brand requires.
It is an ultimate solution that will help secure your online actions and activities from smart hackers.
VPN: The complete solution to your online security
VPN stands for virtual private network. It conducts a secure process of ensuring that your IP address is being hidden when you conduct any online actions.
As a small business, the need to spend multiple amounts of money isn’t as possible as you expect it to be, does that mean your business should remain behind?
This is exactly why a VPN service can help you. With a VPN service you can do so much for your business and your employees. For instance, you can serve your prospects better by finding out better information about them. This means surfing from websites and other sources that are restricted and without being caught, thanks to the support of the VPN service you choose.
What a VPN would do is it would let you access any information you want by hiding your IP address and giving you another IP address that will suit the requirements of accessing that information. For instance, maybe the information you want is only allowing those users who are residing in London.
Interesting Read : Security and privacy for the most popular web browsers in 2019
So what the VPN would do is it would give you an IP address which will tell your location as London. That is exactly how you will continue to operate with this service. It will continue to hide your real identity and keep you safe from any online activity you wish to conduct.
Another reason why VPNs are better for your business is because it helps to encrypt your traffic which means no one can see what your actions are. They will only be able to see that you are VPN connected but nothing more. VPNs are very reliable and in a business where you have to conduct multiple confidential information handling, this solution is the perfect one for you.
A VPN holds multiple benefits for any business such as:
1. High security
There will be times that since your business is small, a few of your employees might be working remotely. There could be instances where a few small businesses might not have an office and are working from home instead if that is you, you need a VPN to safeguard your work activities. You are aware that hackers are just getting stronger and one small mistake can get them to enter your system.
Don’t let that happen to you or your employees. Luckily for you with the use of a VPN your employees can conduct efficient actions online without any risks of being caught or getting blocked. This is important because you are a long way ahead of growth and if you want to succeed better you need a solution that can not stop you from learning and growing.
2. Share files securely
A few of your employees will be working remotely or a few might be sick and working at home, at times file sharing is needed. You need to at times share on a different network the files, at times conducting it through an unsecured channel can cause a leak or loss of vital information.
It is important that this needs to be eliminated without any hassle which is why conducting file sharing with the support of VPN service is helpful.
3. Provides online anonymity
Your business is growing and at this point how much you can research about your prospects, strategies you can apply, and more will be beneficial for your business. But not all the information you see online is available, there are some websites that are restricted which is why using a VPN is important.
A VPN will hide your anonymity online and ensure that no one knows that it is you who is trying to access information from a restricted source. This is important because your employees can easily work on studying and understanding the prospects better, they will be able to conduct research on successful brands to enhance your business and more.
With a VPN this process becomes easy and holds no restriction for growth.
4. Network performance
Your network performance will improve soon after you start using a VPN service. What happens is ISPs (internet service providers) consume so much bandwidth as they try to control the traffic. This will indirectly slow down your business network which will hence impact your employee’s actions.
What a VPN does is it encrypts your traffic, pushing you away from anything that could slow down your work activities.
There are multiple VPN providers available in the market, but before you invest in them, ensure the following criterias are being met :
1. Invest in a paid VPN
Everybody likes a free service but with a free service comes security checks which are not available. Hence it is important that you invest in a VPN service that is paid and offers a good number of services for you with the pricing stated.
2. Good security
The security matters in any VPN service so you need to ensure that you are investing in a VPN service that offers great security measures. You could opt for 256-bit encryption as that is standard in the VPN industry. Remember security matters and that is exactly what you need to prioritize.
3. Faster speed
You are going to use your VPN service for multiple activities as stated above such as research and more and if your VPN slows down, it will only affect your work. Ensure that the VPN service you invest in is good for any activities you conduct.
4. A good support team
There will be instances where you might experience a problem with your VPN. Immediate assistance can help you get back to work quicker instead of having delays. Invest in a VPN service provider that is going to assist you as and when you need them.
5. No logging policy
VPN service providers do store your internet activity and can do a lot with it. To eliminate this from happening ensure you understand what information is being stored and if you’re not comfortable ask for a no-logging policy. This will keep your internet activities safe from every point.
The Bottom Line…
Your data is crucial because it contains all the information required to help your brand change the way it exhibits to its audience.
In such a scenario, securing the information is the wisest decision and doing it with the multiple choices of Google Drive alternatives stated above is another wiser decision you can make.
So tell us, what did you think of this article? Was the article helpful? What are your opinions on this article? We would love to hear your opinion on the same?
Also, to read more such helpful content, do watch out for Limevpn more often.