Setting up VPN on Windows 8 – SOCKS proxy Setup guide
How to setup SOCKS5 in uTorrent Windows 8
- Launch your uTorrent application
- Click on Options and then click on Preferences
- Now a new window will pop up, click on Connection
- Under Proxy Server section choose type as SOCKS5.
- Enter the Proxy server address, Port as 1080, the username and password of your VPN. Make sure all the boxes are checked as shown in the screenshot
NOTE: Refer for Torrent server details
- Now Press OK
Hurray! You have successfully setup SOCKS5 for uTorrent You can also disable uPnP and NAT-PMP if you have port forwarding set up in your router. If you manually forwarded a port, make sure to disable ‘Randomize port each start’ so uTorrent uses the port you’ve specified.
Follow below steps to check if you are really connected to the server:
- Visit http://ipmagnet.services.cbcdn.com/
- Click on Magnet link.
- A new window will pop up asking to choose the program, select uTorrent and click “Open link” or “Ok”
- uTorrent will open automatically and will ask you to save the file, click on “OK”
- The “ipMagnet Tracking Link” starts synchronizing
- Once it shows connecting to peer, return to the site and check your IP. You will see a new IP address
NOTE: SOCKS5 will not provide you with encryption, use SOCKS5 only if you are using Torrent/P2P and you are looking for better speed.