Windows 8 OpenVPN Setup guide
How to Setup OpenVPN on Windows 8
- To download the OpenVPN Windows 8 software installer, visit the OpenVPN downloads page
- Click Run to run the installer
- You may encounter a security prompt: “Do you want to run or save this file?” Click Run to run the software.
- You may encounter a User Account Control prompt: “A program needs your permission to continue“. Click Continue.
- The Setup Wizard prompt will appear. Click Next to continue
- The OpenVPN license agreement and terms appear. Click I Agree to continue.
- The component selection dialog appears. Leave all components checked with their default settings and click Next
- Select your destination folder and click InstallNote the Destination Folder location during install (usually C:\Program Files\OpenVPN)
- When the installation is complete, click on Next
- The wizard will notify you of the completion of the installation and prompt you to click Finish
- Download SFX Installer with Configuration files from LimeVPN and open it.
- Click Run
- Download and Extract Windows 8 VPN configuration (ZIP):ZIP: Extract the files from the configuration ZIP into the config folder in the OpenVPN destination folder referenced in step 7. By default, it will be C:\Program Files\OpenVPN\config.
- Click Extract all files
- “Select a Destination and Extract Files” prompt will appear. Click Browse.
- Locate the Destination Folder referred to in step 7, and find the config folder within it. Click Extract to begin extraction.
- Click Run
- Click Start, then All Programs
- Find OpenVPN GUI, right click on it and select Properties
- Click to Compatibility tab, and check “Run this program as an administrator“. Click OK
- Again click Start , find OpenVPN GUI and open it
How to Connect Windows 8 to VPN using OpenVPN
- In the taskbar tray, right click on the OpenVPN GUI icon, find the site to connect to from the menu, and choose Connect from the site’s submenu
- Enter your LimeVPN Login email and Password when prompted and click OK
- The OpenVPN GUI icon in the tray will turn green once the secure connection is established
How to Disconnect from OpenVPN
- In the taskbar tray, right click on the OpenVPN GUI icon, find the site to connect to from the menu, and choose Disconnect from the site’s submenu
- The OpenVPN GUI icon in the tray will turn red once the disconnection is complete
Setting up VPN connection on Windows 8 using OpenVPN software
OpenVPN software is an easy way to make VPN connection on any Windows 8 PC using any VPN provider’s account. You simply need to download and setup OpenVPN on your Windows 8 computer then download OpenVPN configuration files from your VPN provider and copy these files to OpenVPN\config directory. Having said that, we can easily assume that these instructions could be freely used as an OpenVPN Windows 8 setup tutorial. You can use them as a reference to setup OpenVPN connection on your Windows 8 system. Although you need to get your VPN provider’s OpenVPN configuration files and your VPN account authentication data, because you’ll need it to configure your OpenVPN connection for the first time. When you’ve done it you’ll be able to connect to your VPN in one single click. We made these step-by-step easy-to-follow instructions to make it really easy to connect your Windows 8 computer to VPN using OpenVPN software. You need simply get each point of these instructions done one by one and in case you have any doubts you need to look into screenshots and see how it works.OpenVPN is a popular platform because it is free and can be used on any device even Android mobile OpenVPN client configuration guide is here.
How to create VPN connection on Windows 8 with OpenVPN?
If you look above, you will see the Windows 8 OpenVPN setup tutorial which will help you if you pay close attention and study the tutorial carefully. In other words, if you want to setup VPN on Windows 8 via OpenVPN software, you will need to study each step and make sure that you understand it completely before doing it. People who used Windows 8 before will find it easy to go through the OpenVPN VPN client for Windows 8 setup instructions and do everything right. If you, however, need help to complete this task, you can consult somebody from LimeVPN. In case you have difficulties to implement these instructions then contact to support. LimeVPN provides its customers best remote support ever offering one-by-one remote desktop sessions for each LimeVPN user. We will be eager to help you out. Contact us – we are here to make your VPN configuration work properly.